The Global Asthma Network (GAN) Steering Group are very grateful to our funders. We would like to thank the following organisations for their funding support of the Global Asthma Report 2018:
- The University of Auckland, which has also provided facilities for GAN
- Boehringer Ingelheim New Zealand
- Global Asthma and Allergy Patient Platform (GAAPP)
- Asthma Australia
- Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) through MRC GCRF-funded project “Lung Health in Africa across the life course” [grant number MR/P022006/1]” We thank the NIHR Global Health Research Unit on Lung Health and TB in Africa at LSTM - “IMPALA” for helping to make this work possible. In relation to IMPALA (grant number 16/136/35) specifically: IMPALA was commissioned by the National Institute of Health Research using Official Development Assistance (ODA) funding. The views expressed in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the United Kingdom National Health Service, the National Institute for Health Research, the Department of Health or any other funder.
- Neil Pearce’s work on this report was supported by the European Research Council under the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) / ERC grant agreement no 668954.
We would like to thank all of the authors who contributed to the writing of the chapters.
In particular we would like to acknowledge the work of Eamon Ellwood, Development Manager, University of Auckland, for the design, development and production of the report.
The editing group were Innes Asher, Philippa Ellwood, Catherine Gilchrist and others in the Global Asthma Network Steering Group: Nils Billo, Karen Bissell, Chiang Chen-Yuan, Asma El Sony, Luis García-Marcos, Guy Marks, Neil Pearce and David Strachan.
We also acknowledge the enormously valuable contributions of our colleagues and participants listed on our website: www.globalasthmanetwork.org
The funders of the Global Asthma Network which underpin this report are also listed on our website, and include the following generous donors:
- Australia: Asthma Australia; Woolcock Institute of Medical Research
- France: Aix Marseille University; The Union
- Georgia: Center of Allergy & Immunology, Tbilisi
- Latvia: Riga Stradins University
- New Zealand: The Asthma Foundation of New Zealand; Auckland Asthma Charitable Trust; Boehringer Ingelheim; University of Auckland
- Spain: University of Murcia; University of Valencia
- Sultanate of Oman: The Oman Respiratory Society
- United Kingdom: Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine; London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; National Institute for Health Research; St Georges University of London; UK Medical Research Council
Cynthia Whitman: ©2018 cover.
Lindsay Zurba: ©2018 pages 2-3, 38, 39, 55, 57, 70, 71, 72-73.
Cherian Vargese: ©2018 page 4.
Courtesy of the New Zealand Medical Association: page 5.
Courtesy of the National Asthma Council Australia: pages 8, 26.
Courtesy of The Kerala News: page 9.
Courtesy of Photoshare: © 2004 Syed Ziaul Habib Roobon, page 10-11; © 2008 Josh Nesbit, page 30; © 2017 David Alexander/Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs, page 78; © 2013 Global Health Service Partnership, page 81.
Courtesy of the United Nations Population Fund Pacific Island Countries: page 13.
Courtesy of the Cooking and Pneumonia Study (CAPS): pages 14-15, 50, 77, 87.
Liz Nunez: ©2018 page 16.
Courtesy of Reuters: pages 22, 34, 58.
Mark Platt - Flickr/Emergency_Vehicles: ©2018 page 27.
Courtesy of vidafitnespro.com: page 32.
Courtesy of Shutterstock: Zabavna: page 35; Gutesa: page 36; Ilya Andriyanov: page 41; Steve Photography: page 45; sirtravelalot: page 66.
Courtesy of BREATHE photovoice: Denis Chasochela ©2018 page 37; Levi Shumba ©2018 pages 88-89.
Courtesy of iStock: jacoblund © 2015 page 40; Bert_Phantana ©2014 page 62; Alen-D ©2015 page 67.
Heather Zar: ©2018 pages 42, 43, 86.
Matthew Zellweger: ©2014 page 44.
Courtesy of Brian J. Clark for Pact: page 47.
Donatella Venturi: ©2018 page 49.
Nadia Aït-Khaled: ©2018 page 51.
Jennifer Asaman: ©2018 page 52.
Courtesy of The Star Magazine (Kenya): ©2015 page 53.
Adegoke Falade: ©2018 page 54.
Rashid Osman: ©2018 page 56.
Jason Edwards: ©2018 page 63.
Courtesy of Chile Mission: ©2018 page 64.
Carlos E. Rodriguez-Martinez: ©2018 page 68.
Blanca Del Rio Navarro: ©2018 page 69.
Courtesy of Chinese Medical News.com: ©2014 page 74.
Courtesy of Kristy Siegfried/IRIN: page 76.
Courtesy of The Islamic Monthly/Leila Fatemi.com: page 79.
Eamon Ellwood, Development Manager, University of Auckland, New Zealand